I have started using FireFox again and it looks quite swell I must say, Chrome is missing that little extra these days. Not an objective opinion but hey what the heck.
Pi-hole and Firefox
I recently installed PiHole on my Raspberry Pi for getting rid of some of the crazy amount of advertisement but it seems that Firefox has it own resolver that is conflicting with PiHole.
Mozilla is always bringing new security oriented concepts to their Firefox , namely Trusted Recursive Resolver (TRR) that allows Firefox to use DNS-over-HTTPS (DoH) servers for much more security and privacy as you use the browser in your everyday life.
The insecure DNS servers, as set in the network interface settings of your computer, allow the domain name resolution queries sent to DNS servers to be read by someone sitting in the middle such as your ISP. But with secure and encrypted DoH, nobody can know which domain names you are trying to access.
If you are one of those Firefox users who want to use the DNS servers configured with your network interface instead of DoH, then here is how you progress:https://www.trishtech.com/2018/08/how-to-turn-off-trusted-recursive-resolver-in-mozilla-firefox/
- Type about:config in the address bar and press Enter.
- When warning appears, click on the I accept the risk button.
- In the search box type network.trr.mode
- Double-click on network.trr.mode and set its value to 5.
- After this, Firefox will not try to use DoH even if you have configured the DoH server in the settings.